Wednesday, June 25, 2008

hope

Today I am focusing on the subject of "hope".

My brother is found, but there are problems that cause my heart to hurt for him. I will not go into detail here. Suffice it to say that I am holding on to hope that he will be okay.

Emily Dickinson wrote:

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all."

My brother-in-law's cancer has metastasized to his bones and other organs via his lymph nodes. My sister is still in shock. We are all in shock.

But I am led here:

"Approach each new problem not with a view of finding what you hope will be there, but to get the truth, the realities that must be grappled with." (Bernard Baruch)

And here:

"It's being here now that's important. There's no past and there's no future. Time is a very misleading thing. All there is ever, is the now. We can gain experience from the past, but we can't relive it; and we can hope for the future, but we don't know if there is one." (George Harrison)

From what my sister tells me, her husband was ready for the diagnosis. He is ready to face whatever he must face. But my sister is not there yet. She is frightened. My heart hurts for her too.

No comments: