Tuesday, May 13, 2008

sister

Of my two sisters, the one that is the closest to me in age (ten months older) is the one who leaves me wondering about nature vs. nurture. We were raised in the same household, but we are so different. She struggles with depression. Does the depression cause the inability to move? Or does the inability to move cause the depression?

My reaction to her is bizarre. Part of me wants to hold her as if she were my child, stroke her hair and soothe her, tell her everything will be okay. The other part of me wants to scream "get up and move your ass, soldier", like a sarge would yell at a trained soldier who finds himself under fire for the first time and is frozen.

Ah, helpless - only able to listen and be present in her moments - up or down. Sister.

No comments: